The Owosso Community Players, at the Lebowsky Center, have a rich history
that carries on the legacy of Joseph Lebowsky who opened The Capitol
Theater in 1926. Reopening in 2014 and continuing to rebound and grow after a devastating fire in 2007. At the same time, features are incorporated into the design and
building efforts to support a sustainable concept.
Located in the heart of Grand Rapids’ entertainment district, Blue35 is an innovative
space designed to foster collaboration, inspiration, and results. The neighborhood is in close proximity to Grid 70, in a highly walkable and features nearby coffee shops, restaurants, and other downtown businesses.
Blue35 is home to companies large and small, from solopreneurs in the coworking space
to tenants who’s offices feature full-floor build-outs.
The project consists of two main buildings—the former Owosso Casket Company
(now restored and housing Target Industries, a manufacturer of promotional
materials), and Woodard Station. Woodard Station, once home to Woodard
Wrought Iron Furniture, is now a multi-use facility with 48 loft apartments; 36
student housing units home to about 130 Baker College of Owosso students
Built in 1900 for the Richter Brewing Company, the building located at 1615
Ludington Street is known to many as the historic Delta Building and is one of
only five historic brewery buildings still remaining in the entire state. The greenest
building project is the rehabilitation of an existing structure. The renovation of
historic buildings rescues and preserves the city without destroying it, turning grand monuments of the past into grand residences of the future.
The historic Pontiac Sears Department Store, built in 1929, has a prevalent
and everlasting memory to the citizens of Pontiac. The renovation of the
80,000-square-foot structure, located in the city’s Commercial Historic District,
is the largest construction investment in downtown Pontiac in approximately
Hamtramck Recycling LLC is a family owned green recycling business located in
Hamtramck, Michigan. In 2012, Hamtramck Recycling encountered increased demand
from local manufacturers interested in recycling their waste, rather than depositing it
in landfills. To accommodate the increased demand and increase capacity, Hamtramck
sought to purchase and renovate an old waste-transfer building.
The 920 Cherry Street project was a part of a comprehensive redevelopment of a
three-acre site located at the intersection of Cherry Street, SE and Cherry Drive SE in
the City of Grand Rapids. The redevelopment plan consisted of the development and
construction of 37 for sale housing units, 5,000 square feet of commercial space and the redevelopment of the historic DA Blodgett Home into the new headquarters for
the Inner City Christian Federation.
THE BOOK CADILLAC HOTEL, a downtown Detroit landmark, was rehabilitated after
decades of vacancy and neglect for use as a 453-room Westin Hotel, with 64 luxury
condominiums on the upper floors and restaurants and retail at street level. The severely deteriorated exterior required extensive structural repairs, masonry and terracotta restoration, as well as a complete restoration of the building’s signature copper roof ziggurats. The $200 million mixed-use project was completed in October 2008.
After sitting idle for more than three decades, the Pere Marquette R.R. Depot became
the bustling center of activity that it was over a century ago. The restoration project of
this registered National Historical Place was made possible through a cooperative effort
of the Great Lakes Foundation and the city of Bay City. Now completed, the beautifully
restored depot displays many of its original features and serves as the central location
for several agencies as a resource information center for citizens and tourists on the greater Bay City area.
The building includes a few tributes to the old building, a vacant former bicycle factory which burned to the ground in 2007. The development represents the beginning of further investments along Front Avenue that will create a highly walkable urban area
along the western bank of the Grand River. To that end, the project included extensive landscaping and other streetscape features that serves as a model for future developments.
This project provided the needed stimulus
for further development south of Fulton Street along the west bank of the Grand River.
The building includes space for various outreach services to local and state businesses, including incubator services for small businesses, conferencing, executive level training, community outreach, food service and other related services. Through these organizations over 3,000 minority owned, veteran owned and female owned businesses have received consulting services.
The project, at the corner of Cherry St. SE and Sheldon Avenue S.E., brings Cherry Street Health Services, Touchstone Innovaré
and Proaction Behavioral Health Alliance together under one roof, creating what proponents say is a new national model for
integrated healthcare. The two-story building provides 80,000 square feet for patient
care, with a two-level underground parking ramp immediately below.
Copyright © 2019 Michigan Community Capital - All Rights Reserved.